Bugs and Pitfalls RayGUI
Bugs and Pitfalls of RayGUI Package
RayGUI is in its first version and certainly contains quite a few bugs and pitfalls. We are trying to keep this page up-to-date. Please, report bugs: email@example.com. Thanks.
Vers. 1.0 and 1.1 only:
- Reading r.in generated by ray_window: 8/22/98
At one of the HP installations, the r.in output from ray_window could not be read by jrayinvr. The problem is that integers in FORTRAN namelists for this installation may not contain dots. For now, the only way to by-pass this problem is to hand-edit r.in rather than interactively modifying it with ray_window. It is a good idea to keep a "clean" r.in (e.g. from one of the ...raygui/rayinvr/package/examples files) at hand in case you accidentially hit the >Output File button in the >View r.in menu. To test if this is a problem for your installation:
- Go to ...raygui/gui/examples/bugs2
- Copy r.in.orig to r.in
- Call jrayinvr
- If it runs fine, you don't have this problem
- Otherwise, copy r.in.hp to r.in
- Call /tmp/jrayinvr
- If it still doesn't run, the problem is elsewhere
- java ray_window: 1/27/99
If ray_window does not come up with an error message like graph/... not found, check if your CLASSPATH is correct. Sometimes (some solaris systems with jdk1.1.4, e.g.) it helps to set only absolute path names in the CLASSPATH environment, not ~, ../, etc.
- Output of v.in: 3/8/98:
There might be a problem that Java does not properly round %7.2f floating point numbers. To test:
This bug is serious, because you might have an error of 1 km in the rayinvr model without ever noticing it. To bypass this problem for now, save the ray_window model (>File>Output xy) and call ray2mod < input.ray > v.in (input.ray: name of the ray_window-model) before running rayinvr.
- Go to ...raygui/gui/examples/bugs1
- Start ray_window
- Open v.ray: >File>open xy; select and open v.ray
- Save as v.in: >File>Output v.in
- Open v.ray and v.in with a text editor
- The second layer in v.ray contains an x-value of 100.999 (line #8)
- Compare to v.in (line #10). If the value there is 101.00, you're OK. If it is 100.00, try ray2mod < v.ray > v.in. Compare v.ray and v.in again.
- /tmp/marker.txt required: 4/29/98
Currently RayGUI looks for symbols in file:/tmp/marker.txt to display traveltimes (only for versions 1.0 and 1.1).
- All versions, 4/10/02: Linux g77 compiler has trouble with rayinvr and modifications. Needs modification of code.
- All versions, 4/10/02: rayplot on Solaris won't compile. Don't worry
- Before 1.3.1 (beta), 4/5/01: some IRIX f77: error in plt.f. Delete '$' in "format" statement in plt.f, line 767 (both dirs.: rayinvr, jrayinvr).
- Before running jrayinvr, don't forget to output v.in (see also "Critical errors" above!).
- It is not possible to load a new velocity model w/o exiting ray_window first.
- >Edit>Add end velocity has to be done in un-zoomed window. Otherwise, velocity points will be added at the edge of the current window.
- 4/23/01: If structural point on top of velocity point, need to delete structural point first before velocity point can be edited. All outputs from conversion routines (like chform_vm) put structural point on top of velocity point (so far)...
- 4/23/01: >Edit>Duplicate interface generates wrong depth of velocity point at right end of model; edit by hand.
- B/W monitors, Vers. 1.3 and higher, only: You may prefer squares to short lines for modeled traveltimes, copy rayMarker.bw to /tmp/rayMarker. Also, editing rayMarker is straight forward. Keep in mind that other users on the same machine may get confused because their RayGUI application accesses the same file.
- Some of the buttons open a window by hitting them. The windows will be closed, if hitting the button again.
- Use >Reload after changing the reduction velocity.
- The automatic range-setting is weird. In general, it depends on the range of the tx.in file used when opening the first time plot window.
- Only Vers. 1.3, 1.3.1 (beta)? Adding parameters to r.in not possible (anymore? -- sorry!); seems to be fixed for Vers. 1.4
- Don't forget to hit >Output File before >Run.
- It is better to change shot parameters using >Shot Params rather than the parameter list in the R.IN GUI window.
- If a rayinvr parameter does not appear on the list of parameters of the parameter list in the R.IN GUI window, use >Add Value. The list of parameters in this menu is determined by the parameters listed in
r.in. See rayinvr documentation for details of possible parameters.
- Shot angles quite confusing.
- At one of the HP installations, the r.in output from ray_window could not be read by jrayinvr. See "Critical errors".
- Using r.in from other rayinvr applications: Probably won't work right-away. Textedit such that one line per parameter. Make sure that "imodf=1," (trapar).
- Call jrayinvr as command from UNIX shell to obtain rayinvr error messages. Otherwise, those error messages are suppressed.
- Problem with calling jrayinvr from the ray_window: 8/22/98
At one of the SUN installations, jrayinvr ran fine as a command from a window but not if invoked from ray_window. Apparently, paths were not imported into JAVA. If this happens, you should download a slightly modified class ray_window which calls jrayinvr from /tmp. Contact us, if this happens.
Before Vers. 1.4:
- chform_vm: be a little bit careful, not tested very well. If there are bizarre errors, check v.in and compare to ray_window model.
- rayplot: 1/27/99
Does not compile on solaris as is.
- mod2ray inform=1: 5/5/98
Creates double velocity and x/z-points. Is a problem if output as v.in from rayinvr.
- mod2ray, before 3/20/99
If MAX_NLIN, max. no. of lines (not layers) in input model, exceeded, programs stops reading layers w/o warning. If resulting RayGUI model looks corrupted, check if this may be the problem. Increase MAX_NLIN in mod2ray.c and re-compile
- mod2ray: before 8/23/00
1. Velocity at base of layer wrong, porbably if picks in v.in for top and base of layer are not identical.
2. If last pick at model edge, values from 2d-last pick extrapolated to model edge.
- mod2ray: In general, still flakey, check carefully.
Back to top page
Questions and comments?
Last revised Feb. 14, 2001